Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wanted

It's nice to feel wanted. For the most part, I think I'm a pretty easy guy to get along with. I mesh well with most personalities and can deal with just about anyone (my job requires that), but it's still nice to know that you've made an impact, however small it is, on the people you work with and the people around you.

My last day at work is in two days and I've had at least 25 people (out of roughly 70 people) at work come up and ask me if we're going out after work on my last day to party. I could be cynical and think, "What, you want to have a party because I'm leaving?" The reality, however, is that these people wouldn't waste their time and energy on hanging out with me if they didn't like me on some level.

I know at least one person reading this is probably thinking, "Why do you care what other people think?" That is a good question and one I think about often. Why do people care about what others think? Why do so many people try to impress those around them? I'm sure Freud or Maslow would have something to say about this. Maybe it's because we weren't given enough attention as a child, maybe our ego or superego is causing these feelings, or maybe its simply a need of love, affection, and belongingness. Regardless of the reason, I don't think its a bad thing to be wanted. We only have one chance to live on this Earth, why would you want to spend that time fighting with others? Why not leave this Earth better off than when you arrived? Choosing to get along with others doesn't mean you have to change who you are, it just means you choose to be passive when needed or bite your tongue if you have nothing nice to say. Regardless of your choice, I'd rather people remembered how I impacted them rather than how much of an a$$hole I was. The choice is yours.

I'll stop being all emotional and leave it at that.

No comments: