Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Big Changes

After living in the Seattle area for roughly 18 years, I decided I needed a change of scenery. Don't get me wrong, I love the Seattle area (even the rain doesn't bother me most of the time). For someone who loves the outdoors and being physical, there aren't many places better than the Seattle area. However, the scenery isn't quite as beautiful if you see it every day and frankly, I need new scenery! My uncle has been trying to convince me to move to Huntington Beach for years. Seriously, every time I talked to him, I heard things like "the ocean is calling your name", or my personal favorite, "there is a plethora of goodness in the County of the Oranges." I'm not sure if it was his convincing that changed my mind or just the fact I'm burnt out from just finishing school and working full-time, but I decided to take him up on his offer and move to Huntington Beach. This is also part of the reason I decided to start a blog. I thought it would be fun rubbing the fact that it will be 65 degrees and sunny in December into the faces of all my friends. Hey, no one is forcing them to live in Seattle, they could move too.

So, last week I bravely marched into my boss's office, quietly placed my resignation letter on his desk and walked out. I also put a copy of the letter on the director's desk too, for political reasons. Later that day, my boss responds, "So, you have another job?" I could have lied and said "Yes, they're paying me a trillion dollars and will treat me like a human being", but I decided to be honest and give him the real answer: "No, I have no job lined up, I'm moving." "Oh, ok". His reaction was exactly what I expected and that was fine with me. The director was a little more touchy feely about it. "We're sorry to see you go, good luck in your future endeavors, etc, etc, etc." I don't mean to insinuate that I don't appreciate a little recognition, but a little more recognition and respect from the beginning might have kept me around longer.

So after quitting my job, calling my bank, insurance agent, power company, cable company, landlord, etc, I'm packing up my entire life and moving 1200 miles away to a place where I'll be unemployed and only know a few people. Sounds a bit psychotic when I write it down but I cannot wait to see what this phase of my journey will bring me. There will be plenty of time to work and have responsibilities later. You only get one chance to live, why not enjoy it? Surf's Up!

No comments: